Six Month Smiles®
The name says it all: Six Month Smiles®! An exciting and revolutionary new orthodontic technique can effectively straighten your teeth more comfortably and in less time when compared to braces and other methods. Six Month Smiles® uses a unique system of clear braces and tooth-colored wires to pull the teeth into a more desirable position with less energy and force exerted during treatment. And it can work in as little as four to nine months, with six months being the average for many patients!
Please contact Dr. Cathy Santone at Encinitas Cosmetic Dentistry for more information on Six Month Smiles®, or to schedule an appointment with our experienced dentist.
Straightening Your Teeth in a Whole New Way
Comprehensive orthodontic treatment is ideal, especially for children and developing teens… we strive for perfection. Our adult patients deserve realistic orthodontic options to correct their teeth and smile concerns. Although traditional metal braces are a time-tested and effective way to straighten crooked and misaligned teeth, the process of wearing them can be long and uncomfortable, and they can often make people self-conscious every time they smile. The Six Month Smiles® orthodontic technique reduces the time it takes traditional braces to work by half, and is designed to provide better comfort and a less noticeable effect on your smile during treatment. Benefits of the Six Month Smiles® technique include:
- The goal of Six Month Smiles® is to improve (correct/straighten) the position of crowded teeth and close the unwanted gaps/spaces between teeth.
- What would you do if you could have straighter teeth by about the time of your next scheduled teeth cleaning?
- Six months are going to pass away…why not do something to improve the health and appearance of your teeth?
- Straighter teeth are easier to brush and floss
- Closing the gaps and spaces between your teeth helps your gums and helps prevent cavities…and improves the appearance of your smile
- Straighten your teeth…save your teeth for another day vs preparing your teeth for crowns and veneers?
- Straight teeth are easier to keep clean.
- Straight teeth are easier to keep white.
- A healthy mouth is an important step to a healthy life, body, and relationship with your spouse
- The average treatment time is between four and nine months, averaging about six months for many patients… by the time of your regular scheduled teeth cleaning appointment.
- The braces are composed of clear brackets and tooth-colored wires, which do not give off a “metal-mouth” appearance
- The braces use less energy to move the teeth into a straighter position, which can lead to a more comfortable treatment process
- Six Month Smiles® are typically less expensive than other orthodontic treatments such as metal/lingual braces or teeth aligners
Advantages and Disadvantages Invisalign® when Compared with Six Month Smiles®
Invisalign® clear teeth aligners are another innovative way to straighten your teeth, and many patients may wonder about the differences between Invisalign® and Six Month Smiles®. Here is a brief comparison:
- Some very crooked teeth cannot be straightened alone with clear plastic aligners.
- Severe teeth crowding is very difficult to treat with Invisalign®.
- Invisalign®’s goal is to correct the teeth’s position perfectly.
- If Invisalign® clear plastic aligners are left out of your mouth for a day…you will need to wear them for another two weeks!
- You can remove the aligners to brush and floss your teeth. You do not wear them when you eat.
- They are difficult to see when you have them in your mouth and you can get used to speaking with them in your mouth.
- They provide comprehensive orthodontic teeth movement which typically requires 1-2 years treatment
Six Month Smiles® Pros:
- Patient compliance is eliminated… the braces are attached to the teeth, so treatment goal can be accomplished in the desired short time frame.
- One extra teeth cleaning appointment can help to make up for patients who do not floss every day.
- Six Month Smiles® clear brackets and white wires are not obvious when normal speaking distance is maintained. Most friends and family, especially new acquaintances will not notice/focus on the Six Month Smiles® orthodontic appliances on your teeth.
Goals of Six Month Smiles® do not include perfect occlusion, perfect correction of the upper and lower teeth “midline,” perfect positioning of teeth roots, improvement of crossbites, or perfect correction of the overjet/overbite. However, the Six Month Smiles® method can be advantageous over Invisalign® in significantly improving severely crowded teeth that Invisalign® may not be able to correct. Plus, you won’t have to worry about forgetting to pop in those aligners and possibly extending your treatment time!
How Does Six Month Smiles® Work?
Six Month Smiles® uses advanced technology such as white or tooth-colored nickel titanium wires and other special materials to move the teeth into an improved position with less force. While this may indicate that the treatment process may take longer than traditional methods, just the opposite is true. With Six Month Smiles®, less energy actually translates to quicker teeth movement. The technique also adds no further risk of root damage or other issues that can be caused by orthodontic treatment. Once the braces are placed on the teeth, the treatment process should only take about four to nine months (an average of six months for many patients) before your desired cosmetic and teeth health goals are achieved. A retainer will need to be worn after treatment in order to maintain the teeth’s new, straighter position. Wearing a retainer is (the most) important thing you can do to maintain your new beautiful and healthy smile. The great things about the retainers are that they prevent your teeth from moving and you can use them to whiten your teeth!
Dr. Cathy Santone will be happy to answer your questions about this new and innovative way to straighten your teeth more quickly and comfortably. Please contact us today.